This is Part 1 of the series Upgrading to vSphere 5.1. Make sure to check out the other parts as well.
Part 1 – Upgrading a stand-alone host
Part 2 – Prerequisites for upgrading with Update Manager 1/2
Part 3 – Prerequisites for upgrading with Update Manager 2/2
Part 4 – Upgrading the hosts with Update Manager
Part 5 – Upgrading virtual machines
Part 6 – Upgrading datastores
VMware documentation on the upgrade can be found here.
The upgrade should be done according to VMware Migration Path in four steps:
- vCenter Server
- Virtual Machines (VMtools and Hardware version)
- VMFS datastores
This part shows how to upgrade a standalone host with ESXi installation iso.
- Download the iso from vmware.com, burn it and insert to the server.
- Shut down all your VMs and boot the server from the CD.
- After the files are loaded, the installer will find VMFS partition. Press Enter to continue.
- You will be presented with 3 options. Choose „Upgrade ESXi, preserver VMFS datastore”. Press Enter and F11 to confirm.
- Have a cup of tea / coffee while the server is being upgraded.
- When finished, you will get a confirmation message. Press Enter to reboot.
- Enjoy upgraded ESXi server. Start you virtual machines and verify if everything’s fine.
This procedure can also be used when upgrading vCenter-managed hosts but we will do it with Update Manager in Part 4.